my MIIIINNDD!.... good luck.. I get lost in it my damn self.

Everyday, there's something different.




Most of the time, its something irrational... but thats life...



If everything was rational.... there'd be no emotion... right?

Maybe?



Ah welp..








Tuesday, June 1, 2010

NATURAL HAIR...

I'm almost 8 months natural... *tear*


It has been a liberating, fun, emotional, enlightening, and beautiful ride.


Its almost like it forced me to look at myself from a totally different perspective and allowed me to see the beauty in it.


Of course, I've had my moments of insecurity about it, wondering if people understand the motives behind it or the point that I was trying to make... but after a while, I didn't care because no one had to wear this hair but me.... and I didn't cut all of the permed hair off for anyone...but me.


I didn't research natural hair, different hair textures, natural hair products, growth processes, watch COUNTLESS numbers of YouTube videos about natural hair, read all of the articles about damage from relaxers, learn about chemicals that are constantly put on African American hair that don't do anything but harm it, learn about all of the treatment processes, and the PROPER WAY to wash and comb some damn hair without breaking the ends for anyone...but me.


It took me two years to finally cut it because I was afraid..... I was still a senior in high school contemplating it.. I wasn't afraid of the texture.... just the fact that in order to go natural, you have to cut your hair allll the way down to the new growth, right where the natural and relaxed hair meet.. and that shit was scary. For some reason, there is this stigma in the black community. Most believe beauty is defined by straight hair that reaches or passes your shoulders and if you don't have that, your value drops a few points... I had that (with some chemical help) and was so afraid to let it go..... but after a while, I realized that nobody has to wear it but me..


Before...

And then I cut it shorter...



And then I cut it all off..


annnd now...



..and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment